Saturday, January 16, 2010

No yeast? No Store Bought Bread....


So I've got a bit of explaining to do about what you can and cannot eat when trying to avoid both potato starch and processed sugars. But I also have had to eat to live since I've started this thing, and that's meant having to start experimenting with food! So before I get into all the do's and don'ts of a potato free, sugar free diet, I thought I would share with you my little bread making escapade. I've included links to some of the products I used.

If you didn't know, most types of yeast used in making bread have some source of potato in them.

News to you? Definitely news to me. So although I am not gluten intolerant, it came as surprise to me that during my 6 week "cleanse," I cannot eat most types of store bought bread. That's a problem for me. I like bread, I like toast, and I pretty much eat it everyday. So there's got to be a solution for this obstacle.

So Ezekiel brand bread was recommended to me by my ND, because they make a yeast free bread. So I went to Superstore and bought a loaf, but at $5.99/loaf, I'm not so into repeat purchase. I phoned my parents, who have a breadmaker they aren't using anymore, and decided to investigate how to make my own yeast-free bread, or at least make a bread with a yeast I could use.

Anyway, the yeast my ND recommends is Bakipan brand yeast. Apparently it is made with no potato products, amongst other potential allergens and intolerances. It cost me $6.45 for a 113 g bottle, and generally you are using a teaspoon or so, so it should last for quite a little while.

However, making homemade bread has a couple other obstacles if trying to avoid further potato sources, as well as sugar sources. Additional items of concern: sugar, milk and butter. "Milk and butter too?" you're thinking? Yes, I thought the same thing. But believe it or not, there's potato source in those as well. I'll get into that in another post, but for now, trust me on these substitutes. Use a non-enriched (we'll talk about this in another post as well) Almond milk or Rice milk to replace the milk, and olive oil to replace the butter. Honey replaces the sugar. Oh, and make sure you use a non-enriched whole wheat flour as well.

Here's the recipe I used to make my own whole wheat bread, potato free and processed sugar free. It smelled delicious baking in the machine, and turned out nice and soft on the inside. Albeit, whole wheat bread is a little heavy, and won't rise as nicely as if you used bread flour or white flour, but we'll get into why you can't necessarily use those in another post as well.


Bread Machine Potato Free, Sugar Free Whole Wheat Bread (1 +1/2 pound loaf)

Water: 1 cup + 1 tbsp
Honey: 2 tbsps
Non-Enriched Almond or Rice Milk: 1 tbsp
Olive Oil: 2 tbsps

Whole Wheat Non Enriched Flour: 3 + 1/2 cups
Bakipan Fast Rise Yeast: 1 +1/2 tsps

Combine the wet ingredients in the bread pan. Combine flour, salt and wheat gluten and pour over the wet ingredients (do not mix the wet and dry, the dry should sit over top the wet). Tap the bread pan to level the ingredients. Dig a small well in the dry ingredients and pour the yeast into it (yeast must not get wet). Place bread pan in bread making machine, choose Whole Wheat Setting, medium color.

It took a little experimenting. The first loaf I made was only a 1 pound loaf, and I didn't use vital wheat gluten, so the loaf turned out pretty stubby and short. Bearing in mind like I said before that whole wheat bread made in a bread machine generally doesn't rise very much because of the weight of whole wheat flour. Every bread machine is different too, so the measurements for each may be a little different. Basically I took a recipe from the bread machine manual and subbed what I needed. But the receptionist from my ND's clinic also emailed me a recipe for her bread machine, and I thought I would include that as well for others to try if they are interested. I definitely will be trying it as well! Mmmmm bread.

2 tsp yeast

12 oz water

1 ½ tsp salt

2 Tbsp honey or malt

1 ½ Tbsp Oil

4 cups flour ( see below)

Rapid setting dark crust


Options:

3c whole wheat and 1 cup oat gives light large loaf

2 c whole wheat , 1 c rye, 1c oat gives a low dense loaf with a fine grain



No comments:

Post a Comment